xine as Firefox Plugin

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 17 11:30:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 06:42 +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 18:17 -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > I've noticed that xine when run from firefox displays a window border
> > around the GUI, but it does not do this when run from a shell prompt.
> >
> > The borders did not appear when xine was originally installed, and I
> > cannot determine when they started.
> >
> > This is a x86_64 distribution of FC3.  xine is from freshrpms.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas why and how to make the borders disappear?
> >
> > Bob...
> >
> > --
> > Bob Chiodini <rchiodin at bellsouth.net>
>
> Hi Bob,
> I am beginning to wonder if the freshrpms latest build for xine is
> stable.
> It's doing funny things to me as well. For instance on my laptop if I
> press <g> to remove the controls it hangs. And on my PC in the Playlist
> if I click on clear all then xine crashes.
>
> I am going to wait for the next version to see if it is better,
> Otherwise I will compile it from scratch.
>
> cheers

This issue wit borders only appears on the 64 bit version of xine , when
run from firefox.  From the command line the GUI is rendered without
borders.  Also in a 32 bit environment the GUI is rendered correctly.

I've loaded mplayer, also from freshrpms, to use as a xine alternative.
It works well except I noticed there is no support for win32 DLLs in the
64 bit architecture.  Oh well, not that big of a loss.

On the xine front, I've noticed that since I loaded mplayer, xine and
xine-totem have a lot of distortion in their audio.  I cannot account
for it.  I too shall wait for the next update.

Bob...