How to see number of pci-slots

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Jan 17 13:13:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 12:01 +0100, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:01:16 +0100, Alexander Apprich
> > <a.apprich at science-computing.de> wrote:

> well, you're (partially) right. It depends on the version of dmidecode.
> In my case dmidecode was right. With a "newer" version
>
>     root at elmstreet / # dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
>     7
>     root at elmstreet / # dmidecode | grep PCI
>                          PCI is supported
>                  Type: 32-bit PCI
>                  Type: 32-bit PCI
>                  Type: 32-bit PCI
>                  Type: 32-bit PCI
>                  Type: 32-bit PCI
>                  Type: 32-bit PCI
>
> With the version you have it's obviously somthing different.

Might want to get on the same page with the FC version of dmidecode:

[root at tabb1 ~]# dmidecode | grep PCI
                        PCI is supported
                Designation: PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Designation: PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Designation: PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Designation: PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Designation: PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Designation: PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
[root at tabb1 ~]# dmidecode | grep PCI | grep Type
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
                Type: 32-bit PCI
[root at tabb1 ~]# rpm -qf `which dmidecode`
kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.39

As far as sizes of cards, etc., need a lot more smarts than dmidecode
and grep.

Phil