PCMCIA NIC not functioning properly in Fedora C2

pchoppin at comcast.net pchoppin at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 16:52:44 UTC 2005

Fedora Core 2
Fresh install 1/16
Dell Latitude CPi

Network Card: 3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556 B
GREETINGS --
After fighting with RH9 trying to resolve dependency issues and other software problems, I made the jump to Fedora. I installed Core 2 because someone mentioned Core 3 has some problems.

Here's the problem:
When I start the system I get a Failure on eth0 trying to load the network device. The system detects the card as a 3c574_cs but says the device is not present.

I can remove the device in the Network Manager and then restart the system. When it re-detects the card it identifies it as a "3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556B" in the Network Manager. I then have connectivity. However if I restart the system from that point, the card is then re-detected as a 3c574 as before and will not function.

I have searched the net for an updated Linux driver for this device and none appears to exist (besides the one included in my distro).

Is there any way to force the system to keep the "3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556B" device which works?

The card does work fine in RH9.

I did find a related thread at LinuxQuestions.org thread http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=248517
which begins to address this issue, however there is no resolution on this thread.

Any help is much appreciated.

--
Pete
http://www.websolutionpro.com