FC3 and soundcard

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 17 19:00:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 12:23 +0100, Didier Cassereau wrote:
> Alexander Apprich wrote:
> > Didier Cassereau wrote:
> > [snip]

The fact you can hear the test sound says the drivers are properly
installed.
Check volumes under aumix,  alsamixer, etc.  It is possible that one or
more of the mixers has the sound muted.  I had one case where both aumix
and alsamixer had the sound muted and I had to set both before sound
would work.

> Yes, but only when I start 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 !
> With kernel 2.6.9-1.741_FC3, I do not have any particular error message
> on the console, but do not head anything. And of course I checked the
> volume level.
>
> Concerning the source for music, I actually only tested audio-cd with
> xmms, but cannot hear anything, even with 2.6.9-1.724_FC3.

This may be an issue with the audio cable from the CDROM to the sound
card.  Windows often uses the data cable to play sounds from the cdrom,
but AFAIK that is not done under linux (At least I know of no
application that does that.) so a Winblows machine often will not have
the audio cable installed.