USB storage device locks up FC3

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:10:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:54:15 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Mo, den 17.01.2005 schrieb B Wooster um 19:42:
>
> > Under the latest Fedora FC3 release, as soon as I connect this device,
> > the whole computer locks up. Can't do anything, except power cycle.
> > 2.6.9-1.667 #1 Tue Nov 2 14:41:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> You don't have the latest FC3 kernel - please update at least for

Will do this update tonight.

> What USB storage device is it?

http://www.pqi1st.com/products/sdr.asp
"Single-slot Secure Digital/MultiMedia Card Reader"

> Run "tail -f /var/log/messages" in a terminal - after you updated the
> kernel and rebooted - and then plug in the USB device. Do you get some
> information? Else check "dmesg" after a reboot.

Will check if that works with the new kernel - but with my current kernel,
there is no output before the lockup - I even rebooted the box with
the device plugged in - and on boot, it hangs where it says:
Initializing hardware ... storage audio (hangs here, instead of
printing OK next]

If there are kernel debug parameters I can turn on, or maybe some usb
drivers I can preload, any info would be helpful.