Why does dovecot require mysql?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jan 17 19:32:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 14:13, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 11:02, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > > one more thing. You have added your comments against fc2 which will be
> > > moved to fedora legacy when fc4 test releases are being made. if this
> > > is true of fc3 or even better rhel 4 beta then filing the bug report
> > > against those products is likely to recieve a higher priority. just
> > > guessing thou
> >
> > Good point.  I found this on an FC2 system.  However it is true of FC3
> > as well.  Change has been made.  :)
>
> What is supposed to happen on an FC2 system that has (and needs)
> mysql 4.x installed, and the current dovecot update now depends
> on mysql 3.23.x?

Very good question!  Another problem with feature creep.  If mysql 4.x
was installed from source dovecot would not install unless mysql 3.23.x
was installed via rpm.  But if mysql 4.x was installed via rpm I would
expect dovecot to accept mysql 3.23.x and anything above that.  If it is
written to look for 3.23.x specifically then you would have to strip
dovecot off and install dovecot from source.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

A pessimist is a man who has been compelled to live with an optimist.
		-- Elbert Hubbard