Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 18 00:03:57 UTC 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 18:40, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:45:56AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Except for DD's insistance on re-arranging partitions.  I've had
>> enough headaches and screwed up installs that DD will never touch
>> another disk of mine, ever.
>
>I have no idea which Disk Druid you're using but it obviously isn't
>the one shipped with Fedora's installation program.

Precisely the one thats on the bootable install cd #1 of FC3RC3.

I even came up here to this machine and looked up the keyboard
sequence that is *supposed* to get me another shell, ctl+alt+F2 I
think it was, but didn't work.  The SOB was gonna do it its way or
else.  Yes, I now have the full FC3 disk set, but thats exactly why
its not installed on any machine here.  I've got way too much history
here on this machine that doesn't need formatted away.  And if you
don't click on anything but the proceed/next button, it won't let you
pass without setting something up, at which point I setup the swap
on /dev/hdb.  Then it would proceed, and it proceeded to format
everything in sight and move the partitions around at random.

Tell ya what, I've got the freedom plan, so the next time I go to fool
with trying to install FC3 someplace, give me your phone number and
we'll do it your way & we'll see who's the expert at running Disk
Druid.  If thats not suitable, then at least listen to the bitches of
a user who has been screwed over by it twice now and do something
about it, like give us a choice of which tool to use.  I'd like to
think I have smarts enough to use fdisk after a decades experience.

>I've installed (from scratch) all the Fedoras one after the other
>on the same computer. In all cases, DD only formated the partitions
>I told it to partition ( the / and swap partitions) and left the
>others (a partition I mount on /media/data and /home) intact.
>
>> To the redhat/fedora packagers: Please, please, please give us
>> back fdisk, its not broken like DD, and it doesn't decide to
>> format your /home or /root partitions and use them for / in the
>
>If you prefer fdisk, then just use that instead of DD.

See above, how, when you cannot get another screen to do it in?  I've
tried, mightily, repeatedly, and failed everytime.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)