USB storage device locks up FC3

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 01:52:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:26:46 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> B Wooster wrote:
> > On Slackware, Kernel 2.4.x, this worked - I could connect a USB storage
> > Under the latest Fedora FC3 release, as soon as I connect this device,
> > the whole computer locks up. Can't do anything, expect power cycle.
> The Linux kernel will write kernel panic data onto a text terminal. But
> it doesn't know how to do this if the console is in graphics mode.
>
> You can use Shift+Page UP and Shift+Page Down to scroll through the
> kernel panic data. Take a photo of it, or write it down.

I booted into "init 3", and got a shell, and plugged in the device -
also tried my camera, Canon SD 100.
No luck - nothing is printed to the terminal - just silence, and no
key works, can't do
CNTRL-F1 etc, or enter CNTRL-ALT-DEL.
Only a power cycle gets me out of the mode.

I also upgraded kernel to 2.6.10-1.741_FC3, same results.

So, with no info, can't even file a report in Bugzilla for Fedora,
though I suspect this is a Linux Kernel bug, and nothing to do with
Fedora.

Anyone know if there is any problem running the 2.4.x series of
kernels with FC3? I need to connect USB devices, granted I'm using an
old PC (two years), but all this worked with the 2.4 kernels...
If anyone has done the 2.4.x downgrade, please let me know how it went
- if there were problems.