Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jan 18 02:31:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 00:40 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:45:56AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > Except for DD's insistance on re-arranging partitions.  I've had
> > enough headaches and screwed up installs that DD will never touch
> > another disk of mine, ever.
>
> I have no idea which Disk Druid you're using but it obviously isn't
> the one shipped with Fedora's installation program.
>
> I've installed (from scratch) all the Fedoras one after the other
> on the same computer. In all cases, DD only formated the partitions
> I told it to partition ( the / and swap partitions) and left the
> others (a partition I mount on /media/data and /home) intact.
>
> > To the redhat/fedora packagers: Please, please, please give us back
> > fdisk, its not broken like DD, and it doesn't decide to format
> > your /home or /root partitions and use them for / in the next
> > incarnation.
>
> If you prefer fdisk, then just use that instead of DD.
>
> Emmanuel

Gene is not the only one to have problems.
I have had it rearrange partitions, but NEVER on a prepartitioned disk
which is what you used, and what is given by using fdisk to create the
partition before defining the mount points with disk druid.

On an unpartitioned disk it chooses where the partition goes.  If there
are more than one disk it by default chooses both (or all) disks as the
possible targets.  If you create say 5 partitons and you build them in
the order you want them placed IT chooses the order (and drive) it feels
is best for creating them.  So what you thought was hda2 may actually
become hdb3, etc.

Gene's comment was related to creating partitions, not reinstalling on
existing partitions.