cat5e laptop-to-laptop?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Jan 18 02:45:27 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevor Smith" <trevor at haligonian.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 7:57 PM
Subject: cat5e laptop-to-laptop?

> Can I take two computers (laptops both) and plug them together directly
> from one nic to another with a "standard" ethernet cable? Or do I need a
> crossover cable or something to do that? And if I have the correct cable,
> will the two machines do some sort of peer-to-peer networking more or less
> automagically or will it be difficult to set up? One runs FC2, the other
> Mac OS X 10.3.7.
>
> --
> Trevor Smith
> trevor at haligonian.com

You need a crossover cable.  You can sometimes buy them at CompUSA or Radio
Shack.

To make an TIA/EIA-568B (a fairly common/standard pinout) Cat5 crossover
cable, reverse pins 1 and 3 and 2 and 6.  In other words, it'll look like
this on one end:

1 white with orange stripe
2 solid orange
3 white with green stripe
4 blue
5 white with blue stripe
6 green
7 white with brown stripe
8 brown

And on the other end it will look like this:

1 white with green stripe
2 green
3 white with orange stripe
4 blue