Network Manager Strikes Again!!!!

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Jan 18 11:58:05 UTC 2005

And the problem is even worse as I discovered on a machine that is
supposed to be a DNS server for a domain I manage: the NetworkManager
update pulled in caching-nameserver, and this overwrote
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf with one that only does caching and
localhost stuff.
Packaging bug I think; such a server configuration file should not get
overwritten, caching-nameserver should have installed its own file as
named.conf.rpmnew or so.

Or maybe even a better suggestion: if NetworkManager needs to have a
local nameserver, why not have it require either caching-nameserver or
bind if bind is already installed? Usually a DNS server set up to serve
some domein is also capable of acting as a chaching nameserver at the
same time.

David Jansen