Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jan 18 13:30:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 00:35 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:56:49PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > install I have no use for.  For hda, it was pre-partitioned they way
> > I wanted it earlier, but DD didn't act like it could read the
> > existing partition table.  I know, I stopped, backed out and
> > rechecked it with a boot disk that had fdisk on it.  The partitions
>
> Ah, okay -- *this* part was due to a bug in the parted library which bit the
> FC2 installer. I'm not 100% sure if this was fixed in FC3, but it definitely
> will be in FC4.
>
> > Like I said, its drain bamaged.  Unusable, worthless, take it away.
>
> Yes, let's make it so the installer can't deal with disks at all. Taht'd
> totally make the OS better.

That is NOT what Gene said.  He said take away the brain dead AI that is
DD and make it so we can tell it what WE want and have it do exactly
what we ask.

Oh yes, FWIW fdisk was used for several years in the install process for
Linux until it was decided by the powers-that-be that disk druid was the
tool of choice.  Initially fdisk only, then choice of fdisk or DD, and
now choice of DD or autopartition (and autopartition does use lvm to do
the creation of volumes).

When I create N number of partitions and create them in the order I want
them placed I do NOT want the tool to decide where they should be and
reorganize them for me.

My complaint, as I have stated before on other discussions about this
D!@#$ tool is that it chooses to reorganize placement of partitions as
it sees fit.  I have had it put /boot in the extended partition area
which we all know does not work.  Yes I know I could have checked the
box to force it to be a primary partition but that seems a lot more
hassle than just creating then in the order I define them.  In fact,
when partitioning with dd, on the graph at the top, as I create the
partition the display implies they are being created in sequence, yet
when they are actually written to the disk it may be totally different.

I concur with Gene.  As is, Disk Druid is brain dead and useless for
creating the partition.  It does work well to define the
filesystem/mount point and specify type and format options for
predefined partitions.

I will continue to use fdisk exclusively for partitioning until
something more reliable than the current DD is available.