Amanda and the firewall

Neil Marjoram n.marjoram at adastral.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 14:12:47 UTC 2005

I am having a little hair pulling trouble setting up the firewall for
Amanda backups.

I am attempting to use my Amanda server to backup a client which has the
firewall installed, so far without much luck.

If anyone has got this to work or can advise me on what rules are needed
I would be truly grateful.

I know so far that amanda will send a backup request on port 10080, this
rule I've got.

Then the client will send back on a random udp port, this should be ok
as I don't block any outbound traffic.

But now amanda returns to the client with three random tcp port
connections, this is where I fail I think - someone suggested using
connection tracking, but I don't really know enough about this.

Thanks,

Neil.

--
Neil Marjoram