Ethernet cable check

blank mother.of.gods at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:33:58 UTC 2005

Gérard Milmeister wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 12:58 +0100, Roman Maeder wrote:
>

>>is there an official way to check for the presence of an ethernet cable for
>>an interface? If I config an interface with ONBOOT=yes but there is no cable
>>plugged in, it nevertheless configures the interface, which might later
>>startups such as sendmail waste a lot of time trying to access the
>>nonfunctional network. It also may keep default routes around that get in
>>the way if I later fire up the wireless interface. There is a program
>>mii-tool that can tell you whether the link is up:
>>

>Hallo rem,
>wie gehts?
>
>There is a package ifplugd available from freshrpms or dag ...
>This is a daemon that monitors an ethernet devices and calls ifup if
>e.g. a cable is plugged in and ifdown if the cable is unplugged.
>This works quite well on my notebook.
>
>Regards

If i might ask a question :) i've been a linux user for a few years, and
this thing you ask was a very frustrating thing for me when i started
with linux around the same time i started opening PCs up and looking
inside. i had old hardware (supported) and didn't know much about
network cards. I found it very frustrating to have non-blinky network
cards and not have ifconfig tell me which one had a "good physical link"
when i was learning.

In the last week i've been pleasantly surprised when trying another open
source os, that ifconfig very helpfully lets me know (by default) what
interfaces have good physical connections. It's a small thing, but very
helpful.

I know now that i could have looked at the tx/rx numbers in linux
ifconfig and kinda put together my own picture, but i didn't what "all
that stuff was for" - i was new to *nix in general (and network config
gui's were uh, not so user friendly at the time).

Anyway question, why has this not been slipped into linux's ifconfig? Or
is there something that i don't know about (very, very likely!) that
makes this more trouble than it's worth to put in?

Just askin' aloud is all. "Write it in your own self," is an acceptable
answer too - i need to make myself more useful :)

jb