The N-th session of a multisession CD...

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Tue Jan 18 16:53:46 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I'm trying to access with dd or readcd a random session on a
multisession CD, but it turned to be frustrating and annoying.

I know, I can do a "mount -o session=N /mnt/cdrom", but it's not exactly
the same: it seems to mount all sessions till the N-th, not just the N-th.

What I usually try to do is

	dd if=/dev/cdrom of=imageN.iso bs=2k skip=$PREV count=$COUNT

where $PREV evaluates to the starting sector for the N-th session as
shown by "cdrecord -toc", and $COUNT is the difference between the
starting sector for N+1-th session and the starting sector for the N-th
session given by "cdrecord -toc".

This way I almost always get an "I/O error" from dd.

Any hint?

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico