Linksys WMP11 with Fedora Core 2

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Jan 18 19:06:59 UTC 2005

Erwin J. Prinz wrote:
> See
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/List
> for the cards which are reported to work with ndiswrapper, and see

As I said, if I'm in the market for new card, I'd avoid cards that need
ndiswrapper.  If I already had a card, than I'd use ndiswrapper.

> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware
> for some cards which work with an opensource driver, e.g. the Linksys
> WMP54G ver. 4.
> However, that driver (for the Ralink chip sets) is not yet integrated in
> the kernel, but it works.

When it gets integrated, the card will make its way onto my shopping
list.  Not before.

The point was, I can simply buy the card that I'll unpack from the box,
plug it into my laptop, and voila it works.  If I can do that, why
should I vaste my time on the card that I need to do additional work
(each time new kernel is out) to get it working?  Even if the work is
trivial.  5 minutes of work here and there quickly adds up to an hour.
One hour of my work is more expensive than wireless card.