NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

blank mother.of.gods at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 02:51:07 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Steven Pasternak writes:
>
>> I use fedora 3 on an athlon xp and an nvidia geforce fx 5200. I go to
>> install the Nvidia driver version 1.0-6629 and during the
>> installation at the end it says that the license 'Nvidia' taints the
>> kernel, but it still continues and seems to work. If I boot in
>> runlevel 5, though, it gets to the part where it starts X (right at
>> the beginning) and X doesn't start - It freezes. I uninstall the
>> driver and use the 'nv' driver and it works. I have to compile the
>> kernel module because it can't find one at the nvidia site. When I'm
>> in runlevel 3 I can run the accelerated graphics until I shut down,
>> then I have to boot runlevel 3 and recompile the module again. Any
>> advise?
>

> Advice: only use graphics cards that provide and support open source
> drivers.
>
> Otherwise, the results will be what you have now.  Although on this
> occasion you might be lucky enough to find someone to give you a
> workaround, sooner or later you'll be boned.  Unless, of course, you
> use precisely the kernel version and build that received the official
> stamp of approval from NVidia.

This is good advice for me as well. i have a dual head nvidia card and
used to run it that way with Nvidia's driver under linux. It must have
been kernels they liked, because i cannot get it to run now. "nv" is
working great, although i'm only on one monitor at the moment (which is
fine).

i plan to keep this workstation and install for a while, so i'm thinking
i will replace the graphics card with one that is more friendly soon. i
wonder if nvidia cares that i've only ever purchased their cards, but
will now go elsewhere for my graphics card needs.