NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jan 19 05:06:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:57:45PM -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> Checking the x.org website, I see that TDFX Voodoo cards are well
> supported. They'll be getting my money next time I need a graphics card
> (actually I have a Voodoo 1 in the junk box, I think I'll yank my Nvidia
> card right now). The driver situation sucks, but at least Nvidia is
> trying; the kernel gurus just move too fast.

Given that Nvidia bought 3dfx several years ago and killed them, I'm afraid
you're going to have to look again. There aren't any modern Voodoo cards at
all.

A better out-of-date bet is a Radeon 8500 family card. FireGL 8800 is the
fastest, if you can get it. These are also no longer being made.

Radeon 9100 (except IGP) and 9200 are also okay.

But none of these are this year's model -- or last year's model.

The only *current* option that I'm aware of for open source 3D support is
Intel's integrated controller, which will at least give you something, but
isn't designed to give super performance. (It's not even close to a brand
new Nvidia or ATI card -- they're just not bothering to target that market.)