Understanding Sendmail/Cyrus-imap installation... AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Wed Jan 19 13:35:55 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 19.01.2005 schrieb Mark Weaver um 13:52:
>

>>I found a post here on the list, posted by Gene Smith: Cyrus imap HOWTO
>>solved!!!, that very nicely outlined the Cyrus-imap setup and followed
>>it - well mostly. Cyrus appears to be working, however when I got to the
>>part where you're supposed to "su cyrus" and then start the "cyradm
>>localhost" commandline it failed. So, I'm off to CPAN to get the
>>necessary module to install so's I can run this config tool.
>

> Please read the docs more carefully. cyradm is shipped with the Core
> packages! Why wouldn't it not as it is essentially needed to administer
> Cyrus-IMAPd?
>
> $ rpm -ql cyrus-imapd-utils | grep cyradm
> /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyradm
> /usr/share/man/man1/cyradm.1.gz
>

>>One of my questions is why is this necessary? I can only assume the
>>obvious is that its because "this is how Cyrus-imap operates." however,
>>with the config of Sendmail and Cyrus as it is now everything connects
>>ok and appears to be working meaning I can connect to the SMTP but when
>>I attempt to connect to the imap service I'm told the user's mailbox
>>doesn't exist! HORSE PUCKY! of course the mailbox exists... its right
>>there in  /var/spool/mail/<username>. Did I mention that I've transfered
>>all user files and mail from the old server to this FC3 server box?
>>
>>Why is it telling me the user mailbox doesn't exist?
>

> Because you didn't carefully enough read the documentation. Else you
> would realize that Cyrus-IMAPd does not use the mbox storage under
> /var/spool/mail/. And that you have to create the mailboxes using cyradm
> for each user (or to use the autocreate patch options).
>

>>Mark
>

> Alexander

Ok...fair enough and you're right. I didn't RTFM. :) Which leads me to
another question just popping up. Will the old user mailbox files
migrate easily to the new cyrus-imap mailboxes or are they in a
different format.

As for cyrus admin... it didn't seem to get installed or didn't install
correctly because I was getting a perl error upon attempting to initiate
cyradm.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."