Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 19 14:27:33 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 08:39, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>On Wednesday 19 January 2005 04:54, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> I don't think I ever said it can do no wrong. I just said it
>> always works fine for me. And that it's ridiculous to just keep
>> saying that it should be thrown out with no replacement.
>
>Did anyone say that, or anything like it?
>All I asked, as the original poster, was that
>the fdisk option be brought back.

Yes, I did.  IMO, any tool that has the potential to screw things up
as badly as DD has for me the last 2 times I used it, either needs to
be thrown out with the bath water, or seriously massaged to prevent
future scenarios such as I've had.

The screwups in my cases were nearly identical, starting with its
ignoring the drives existing partition table, making up its own
tables up out of whole cloth, and putting /boot in /dev/hda5, which I
don't believe works, ever.

It needs to 1) show you what its going to do to *every disk in the
system*, and 2) what it does show you is to be carved in stone, not
re-arranged willy-nilly after you've clicked on the next button.  And
it needs to be capable of being completely bypassed in the case of
already having a known good partition table you don't want messed
with.

The last time I spent probably 15 minutes wandering around in it
trying to figure out a way out of it without its doing anything, and
finally split up /dev/hdb into two small partitions and an already
existing /swap just so it had something to do, and it completely
wiped the system when I clicked next.

Everyone defending it claims it can do so much more than fdisk, but
I've yet to see any evidence of this greater capability, other than
its capability of totally screwing things up.  If there is a list of
increased capabilities DD has that fdisk doesn't, then lets see a
list of them, right here in front of all us frogs so we can debate
the utility of each of these capabilities.  I'll even leave some room
here for them to be listed:

fdisk works just fine, whats the problem with bringing it back as an
option for those of us who are used to it?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)