Audio on FC3

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Wed Jan 19 14:45:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 15:13 +0100, pierolists at giochi.org wrote:
> Wayne Leutwyler <wayne-leutwyler at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >There is a sound issue with the intel i810 sound cards. On some PC/Laptops the
> >intel sound card will be detected, but the sound will not play. If you do a
> >lsmod it will show the sound card modules loaded. There is a simple work
> >around for this.
> >
> >1. Patch your system up to current levels.
> >2. Edit the /etc/hotplug/blacklist and add this to end of file: snd-intel8x0m
> >3. Reboot your system. run alsamixer to check the sound levels.
> >4. This should solve the missing sound.
>
> I've put into /etc/hotplug/blacklist  snd-intel8x0m. I've rebooted and no sound
> card now is detected.
> I run alsamixer but it says me that soundcard missing.
> I've done also tail -f /var/log/messages. When I try to run some audio file,
> these rows are displayed:
> Jan 19 14:58:20 notebook kernel: usb usb1: string descriptor 0 read error: -19
> Jan 19 14:58:20 notebook kernel: codec_read 0: semaphore is not ready for
> register 0x2c
>
> Can someone help me?
> Thank you,
> ing
> Piero

Hi Piero

I have an Intel based laptop.
The snd-intel8x0m is the modem driver. Which you will need.
I also tried to disable it when trying to compile the modem drivers, and
it did not work.
The reason which I can't remember can be obtained by unblacklisting the
snd-intel8x0m module from /etc/hotplug/blacklist and running
rmmod snd-intel8x0m
It will swear at you,

The sound card depends on this module to be loaded or something like
that.

But in my google searches I also read about some guys who could remove
it and some who could not. That could be based on your sound / modem
hardware or you kernel version.

The best advise I have for you here, is get the latest initscripts, hal
and udev from fedora.us updates and even go for a newer kernel (maybe an
older one if you already have the newest) Then install the latest alsa-
lib and run alsamixer.
Pay attention that on my sound config (similar to yours) all devices are
muted by default,
You will need Master and PCM turned right up to hear any sounds from a
movie mp3 or system sounds if they are enabled.
Also check which sound system you are using. it should be alsa.

Cheers for now.
Chad