Understanding Sendmail/Cyrus-imap installation... AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Jan 19 15:22:58 UTC 2005

Mark Weaver wrote:
> I've tried setting this line a two different ways.
>     Other     DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> yields an SMTP connection refused message.
>
>     Other     DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25,Addr=192.168.0.4, Name=MTA')dnl
> yields a password dialog box from the client that isn't accepted by the
> service on the other end. Which is exactly why I've been chasing my tail
> as I have.

You should be fine with DAEMON_OPTIONS commented (just insert dnl at the
beggining of the line).  Unless of course you know what you are doing,
and you really want to limit sendmail to listen only on 192.168.0.4:25.

If you are getting password dialog box, and you haven't enabled user
authentication in sendmail.mc, check you mail client settings.  Make
sure "server requires username and password" is not set.  User
authentication section in stock Fedora sendmail.mc is not enabled by
default.

If you do want to have user authentication, check if you uncommented all
required lines for it in stock sendmail.mc (commented by default), and
that everything is the way it should be.  Not sure if you'd also need
saslauthd running (check what you have in /usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf).
  If you do, check if you configured saslauthd correctly
(/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd), and if it is running or not.

Also note that (if you enable default auth config in sendmail.mc),
plain/login is allowed only over TLS.  Make sure "use SSL/TLS" check box
is also checked in your mail client in this case (or allow plain/login
on cleartext link in sendmail.mc).