Why is LANG set to en_US.UTF-8?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Jan 19 15:51:19 UTC 2005

B Wooster wrote:
> I tried Putty - it does display man pages correctly, but I could not
> fix the line drawing characters, so mutt, slrn, did not display
> lines/arrows correctly.
>
> Anyway, I'll follow the suggestion elsewhere in this thread - if my
> TERM is VTsomething, will force LANG to be just en_US.
> I still prefer to use TerraTerm (unlike Putty, it does not support
> UTF-8), since it has ZModem support, great for quickly transfering
> files.

Usually I have it set to just "C" (default POSIX locale).  I hate when
ls intermix dot files with "normal" files in ls -a output, and don't
like lower/upercase being ignored when sorting either.  Setting LANG to
C solves both problems :-)

Everything works, it works as expected on Unix-like system (including
the way files are sorted in ls output), nothing is broken (actually, it
fixes ls output, as I mentioned before).

Wonder whose bright idea was to ignore leading dot when sorting....