Delete key and bash

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 16:40:10 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
>>I wonder if this behaviour is desireable though, should INPUTRC not be
>>set in /etc/bashrc, so all (interactive) shells have this set?
>

> right. file a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com against bash

I wonder though ... it's really a manifestation of the fact that logging
in via xdm/gdm/kdm starts a  session which never invokes a login shell,
and so /etc/profile is never read - opening a terminal in Gnome etc
starts an interactive non-login shell and so /etc/bashrc and
$HOME/.bashrc are read but not /etc/profile or $HOME/.bash_profile. At
least that's my understanding. Googling around a bit, this situation has
quite a histroy, and there was a time when /etc/profile was even sourced
twice at login. This has been discussed at length lately by debian
people here:

http://tinyurl.com/6mlw8

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&threadm=27SaO-2Hu-43%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dshell%2Binitialization%2BX%2B/etc/profile%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26selm%3D27SaO-2Hu-43%2540gated-at.bofh.it%26rnum%3D7

I myself am unsure about what the right way to deal with this is, but my
feeling is that at somepoint during login /etc/profile should be read.
Perhaps this is a discussion for fedora-devel ?

J.