Why is LANG set to en_US.UTF-8?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Jan 19 17:21:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:10:34PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:04:56PM -0500, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > Worldwide 5,822,000 people use languages which cannot be represented
> > using en.US and only 508,000 people ( less than 10%) use English.
>
> Hey now. I know a lot of us are barely literate, but still, I bet you can
> find at *least* a million people who use English *somewhere* in America.

But I only left out extra zeros, which represent "nothing".  ;-)

My apologies Matthew.  Blame my tenure as analyst, where we always drop
the last three or six zeros in our tables.  The correct numbers are;

    5,822,000,000  non-english language  (5.8 Billion)
      508,000,000  english language      (0.5 Billion)

or a slightly more than ten to 1 ratio.

> Hey now. I know a lot of us are barely literate, but still, I bet you can
> find at *least* a million people who use English *somewhere* in America.

Well, its perspective dependent isn't it? Most of the folks in England
might say that we here in the states only speak "American" and not
"English"  :-)

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"