Questions re desktop 150 miles away.

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Jan 19 21:16:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 14:43 -0600, David Hoffman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:34:42 +0000, Sharon Kimble <skimble04 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am shortly going to be in the situation of installing Fedora Core 3 onto a
> > new desktop for my sister, which is then going to be located 150 miles
> > away, used intermittently and only to have short bursts of dialup internet
> > connectivity for emails only. The only means of updating it will be through
> > updates burnt onto a CD and posted to her.
> >
> > Therefore, some questions;-
> > A - What folders do I need to copy to the CD for yum to use when updating
> > please?
>
> If you are going to send her a custom built CD with updates on it, you
> could simply write a script that would do all the "rpm -i" or "rpm -U"
> calls directly to packages that are also copied to the CD.
>
> OR you could go to the trouble of creating an entire repository on
> your CD with all of the updated packages, editing her /etc/yum.conf
> file or creating a repository with your local information in
> /etc/yum.repos.d... and then have her mount the CD and run "yum -y
> update" from there.
>
> The tricky thing is going to be having the entire repository on a CD.
> In my opinion, you might be better off just knowing what packages need
> to be updated, copying the rpms for those packages to the CD, and then
> manually (or through a script) doing the updates.
>
> If you are intent on doing it the other way, here is a link to an
> article that discusses how to do this:
> http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/22/1718242&tid=29&tid=23&tid=42

    Or maybe shipping her a disk with FC3 already set up?  Can she do
something like that?

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller