NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:13:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:36 -0600, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> said:
> > My 9700SE is handled fine by FC3.  It's not that old (<6 months).
>
> See "man radeon".  The 9700 is an R300 based card and only has 2D
> support in the base xorg code.
>
> I have a couple of systems with Radeon 9200 (RV280) that have good 3D
> support under xorg though (and these can be had cheap in OEM versions
> now).

Just curious, but what kind of performance do you get with one of
these?  (the 9200)  I'm not sure what kind of metrics there are on
Linux.  About the only one I know of is glxgears.  What kind of frame
rates do you get with that?  For comparison, my GeForce 440 Go with
the nvidia driver gets about 1700 fps at 1280x800 (screen res, window
is normal size) at 24 bit.

> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
Nicely put :).

Jonathan