Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 19 23:56:11 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 14:21, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:54, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:19, Craig White wrote:
>> > ---

>> > ---
>> > it doesn't
>> > ---
>>
>> No, he's right on this one.  Try creating a layout with /boot
>> first, then /, then swap, then /home where DD creates all the
>> partitions. Every time I've tried without fdisk'ing the partitions
>> first, DD re-arranges the layout into some other order.  That is
>> especially stupid in the case where you try to make an identical
>> layout on the next drive and RAID1 mirror the partitions, then DD
>> moves them so they end up paired with something on the same drive.
>>  FC3 has some new options for mirrors so it may not be as
>> difficult as before, but we still need some way to nail down a
>> layout in DD that will be repeatable in the resulting kickstart
>> file.
>
>----
>sorry Les but we are talking Apples and Oranges
>
>When the partitions don't exist OR you are instructing Disk Druid to
>create the partitions, I agree that the arrangement is fluid and
> subject to some ruleset inside Disk Druid code that can't be
> controlled.
>
>BUT
>
>If the partitions already exist and you instruct Disk Druid to use
> the existing partitions, they don't move.

Ok, I just grabbed the shell and used fdisk, mke2fs, and tune2fs to
partition, format, add the journals AND label the partitions. DD has
yet to recognize a labeled partition as being connected to that
mountpoint.  I finally gave up, went around and told it not to format
anything I'd already done, and hit done.  It asked me some irritating
questions about was I sure I wanted to do that, and then went on with
the install, getting all the way thru disk 1.

But disk 2 starts with openoffice, and it bailed out from lack of disk
space.  But...  Theres no partition at more than 10% utilization as
shown by rebooting the rescue disk, mkdir the point points, and
mounting each partition in order and checking useage with df.  Lots
of room, 40 some gigs all told.

>Assuming:
>- Pentium IV or Athlon (I have no experience with others)
>- You will need "/" - swap and /boot partitions. All other
> partitioning is optional
>- Existing partitions are logical... Partition 4 should be extended
>partition and if you plan to have say a large '/home', it should be
>inside it's own partition inside that extended partition.
>
>All you need to do is assign the above partitions to existing
> partitions and install can continue in a predictable manner. The
> display within Disk Druid will be accurate and will not change
> unpredictably.

Except that it refuses to use a formatted, journaled, primary
partition /dev/hdb3, volume named "/root" partition, insisting that
it has to be a directory off of /

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)