Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jan 20 01:34:31 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 14:27, Gene Heskett wrote:

> The screwups in my cases were nearly identical, starting with its
> ignoring the drives existing partition table, making up its own
> tables up out of whole cloth, and putting /boot in /dev/hda5, which I
> don't believe works, ever.

Is that true (that one cannot boot from /dev/hda5)?
I'd always assumed that was the case,
but I recently installed SuSE-8.0 on a laptop (Sony Picturebook C1VFK)
as part of a long saga installing Fedora-3 on this machine.
In the end I installed SuSE,
and used WiFi under SuSE to transfer the Fedora-3 ISOs
and then installed Fedora from the hard disk.
(Briefly, when trying to install Fedora from CDs with the CD51 reader,
the first CD was read OK, but then anaconda bombed out while ejecting the CD.)

In any case, SuSE ignored all the partitions I had created with fdisk,
and found some spare space at the end of the disk,
from which it created /dev/hda13 ,
and installed everything in that partition.
It seemed to boot OK from that partition, using LILO.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366