Services

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 04:57:48 UTC 2005

markf wrote:
> Fedora Core 3 seems to have a lot of services running in the default configuration.  Which of these are safe to deactivate?  I've got FC3 set up on an old PII 400 with very little memory, so I'd like to eliminate whatever's not necessary.
>
> Specifically, it safe to disable the following:
> readahead
> sendmail
> xinetd
> cpuspeed
> nfs_lock
> rpc*
>
> This box wont be using NFS at all, and I can't see any reason why sendmail
should be running on anything other than a dedicated mailserver.
xinetd similarly seems useless on a desktop computer.

This might be a little extreme, but here are all the services I have
running, For a simple desktop you don't need much. No sendmail and I
don't run cron either. I'm still trying to figure out how to dump xfs.

hpoj
syslog
network
cups