Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 20 05:32:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 02:58 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > I know that I when I have had a poor experience in a restaurant but
> > others haven't and the restaurant is successful, do I lose something by
> > not going back, does the restaurant lose something because I don't go
> > back or do we both lose because I have had an experience that I didn't
> > want to part with?
>
> I don't get the analogy.
> As far as I can see, the restaurant used to offer meat or fish,
> but now it only offers meat.
> I prefer fish, and am asking that it be put back on the menu.
----
OK
Why tell the patrons? - they don't make the decisions. The people that
own the restaurant (fedora-development) would be logical place to ask
for more fish. I certainly wouldn't have any argument about having an
'expert install' option but that is beside my point (but not yours I can
tell).

The analogy may have been too obtuse.

In Gene's case, he is so convinced that Disk Druid is bad and can't be
made to work, that he does everything he can to defeat it and then
wonders why it doesn't cooperate.

Consider his travails today. He finally figured out how to get a shell
at install (imagine that!). He launches fdisk, creates his partitions,
then mkfs and then finally switches back to Disk Druid where he has to
once again, reassign them and label them. He chooses not to format them,
probably the reason that he 'ran out of disk space' during the install
(installer probably couldn't write to one of the partitions because it
wasn't properly prepared). Let's not even consider his insistence on a
separate partition for /root which by design, isn't a permitted option.
What we have seen is Gene's proclivity to piss into the wind.

Had he simply used Disk Druid to create the partitions, format them on
the fly and install therein, all he would have maybe lost is (1) LVM and
(2) ability to pre-determine which labeled partitions were in which
physical location (the first 3 or inside the extended partition).

We know that he doesn't value LVM because he hasn't ever used it, always
choosing to install 'his' way - so much for (1).

As for (2), he can still have that by creating the partitions in fdisk
(now that he has figured out that it can be done) and using Disk Druid
to assign these partitions to his needs/desires and choosing to 'format'
them on the fly which will assure him that the file system is created,
that no 'cruft' remains and his install will proceed unremarkably
(albeit lacking for his separate partition for '/root' which he can
manufacture after the case - fully knowing that it is an unsupported
configuration but at least (for the moment anyway) is possible because
Linux does offer latitude for misconfiguration.

I do remember some things about being married. One of them was that if I
hoped to get lucky, if I brought home flowers, candy, a card, wine, was
attentive, etc. it was far more likely to occur than if I came home
late. In his case, he isn't gonna seduce Disk Druid by his low
expectations. Better analogy?

Craig