boot / startup problem

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 08:47:40 UTC 2005

On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 08:07, Kinsey wrote:
> New to Linux, I successfully have used the Suse retail
> distribution, but someone suggested I try Fedora, so I
> have downloaded installed the latest Fedora but it
> goes through a process of appearing to boot up, then
> asks for a "localuser logon." I did not assign any
> username or logon except for the root password, and
> have been unable so far to locate any FAQ help that
> addresses this. Is there a command or default username
> and password that I'm not aware of that will either
> allow me to log on or do away with this process and
> allow completion of the boot process. Suse did not
> present this problem.
> AMD64 bit processor, Gigabyte mobo with nvidia
> chipset, gigabyte/nvidia video card, 1.5 gigabytes of ram.

It would sound like one of the following:
1/ You chose to have the machine boot into text mode.
2/ You chose a server installation with no X.
3/  There's something wrong with the graphics configuration and X is refusing
to start.

Log in at that prompt with the root user name and password, then type
#telinit 5

Let us know what happened.
If that switches the login to graphical mode, you'd need to make a change to
the '/etc/inittab' file, since this symptom tells us you installed in text
mode. (probably)

It that didn't switch into graphical mode, it'll give you some error messages.
Post those messages here.
--
Tony Dietrich