Determining BIOS version - I fouled up

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 13:25:54 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> I should never give advice before 6 am. On my machine the BIOS version
> appearsd at the bottom of the initial splash screen, but I realize
> that may be manufacturer specific.

Manufacturer specific, yes, but it's pretty general on desktops and
servers (although I'm not sure about those from HP, IBM, or Dell: we
tend to steer clear of those).

And it tends to be more accurate than the data dmidecode can dredge up:
BIOS manufacturers tend to care more about data that gets flashed up
every boot than data that gets shown when a few users of a minority OS
decide to run what has been an unusual program...

So I don't think any apology was necessary.

Thanks for all your input, by the way.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | ... a sign carefully conveying in pictograms the fact
Exeter   Devon   UK   | that you should not leave wheelchairs on a certain