Crashing in stand by mode

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 16:51:17 UTC 2005

Helena Carlsson wrote:

> --- David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> skrev:
>

>>Helena Carlsson wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>I am using a FC3 machine with latest kernel
>>>(2.6.10-1.741-FC3). Its works fine, but after a
>>>

>>while
>>

>>>when I don't use my system the monitor goes into
>>>

>>stand
>>

>>>by mode its light start blinking which is normal.
>>>Recently, when it goes into stand by mode and when

>>>press any key to return it into active mode it just
>>>stays into stand by mode and I have to restart the
>>>system manually by turning off the system. Maybe it
>>>crashes or maybe it just stayed into stand by mode
>>>

>>and
>>

>>>the system works and not crashed. The screen saver
>>>

>>is
>>

>>>also disabled and also power saving options. One
>>>

>>more
>>

>>>thing is that when I wanted to turn off screen
>>>

>>saver
>>

>>>it showed a warning windows and said that
>>>

>>XScreenSaver
>>

>>>daemon is not launched and when I clicked on OK to
>>>launch it another error windows said that launching
>>>xscreensaver wasn't successful. Does it make any
>>>

>>sense
>>

>>>?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Helena
>>>

>>Helena, I had very similar experience with a RH 8
>>system (except I did
>>not try to disable the XScreenSaver).  Changing the
>>screensaver timing
>>options seemed to help a little for a while but the
>>system resumed
>>"locking up".  By "locking up" I mean that screen,
>>mouse, keyboard were
>>all disabled to the user and the only way to recover
>>any control was to
>>either hit the system reset switch or the power
>>on/off switch.
>>
>>I solved the problem by replacing the monitor.
>>
>>--
>>

>I see... but I think the problem is actually a  kernel
>bug. I changed the setting and run the system with the
>old kernel (2.6.9) instead of (2.6.10) and the problem
>seems to be solved... but I am not sure yet.

My troubles with the freeze ups started right after up2date download and
installation of updated kernel and Xwindows rpms.  The monitor was a
Dell 17ES Ultrascan with less than original spec capabilities (prior
repairs had reduced the range of refresh rates).   I lived with the"
freeze" problem until the screen display started jumping up and down at
which time I replaced the monitor.  Since then, I have not experienced
any further "freeze" situations on either RH 8 or FC-2.