NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Jan 20 23:50:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-20-01 at 13:58 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:

> >>My 9700SE is handled fine by FC3.  It's not that old (<6 months).
> >
> > Does it have HW 3D and multiple display support?
>
> I don't recall offhand and the machine is at home and not really
> available here from the office.

According to some people on this list, some cards are fully supported
with the standard drivers.

I bought an ATI AIW Radeon 8500 DV about 6 months after it came out.
After discoveing that it didn't work I contacted ATI and they told
me they had no intention of directly supporting Linux. I suggested
they think it over, then I started looking for alternate ways of
getting it going. I had some success for a while but ended up
putting my ATI AIW Rage 128 back into the machine, and put the
Radeon in a windows machine. It seems to me it was a couple of
years before a decent driver was supported. I still don't trust
ATI's intentions after there comments from a couple years ago.