DNS not resolving DHCP clients

A. Rick Anderson a_rick at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 00:38:13 UTC 2005

It is my understanding that I should be able to enable DHCP and then do a ping on the hostname of a workstation with a dynamic IP address, and if I am properly configured, the hostname of the ping should be able resolve.

It's not.  If I hardcode the IP address in the zone maps, dhcp.conf and /etc/hosts, DNS resolves resolves the hostname and ping works as expected.  But then, if I do all that, then I am not really using DHCP either.  If I comment out the IP address from the /etc/hosts file, then ping can't find the dynamic host by name.

I have verified that both DNS, and DHCP are working.  If I renew a DHCP lease, I get the router and DNS servers that are listed in dhcp.conf.  I can ping my dynamic workstation from the workstation itself.  I can ping the DNS aliases (created via CNAME).  But I can't ping the dynamic workstation from the server.

I suppose that I could go back to hard-coding everything, but that would be really annoying.

-- A. Rick Anderson