Hyperthread without BIOS enable

Thiago Guzella thiago.guzella at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 02:01:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:02:09 -0700, Rick Wagner
<wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net> wrote:
> I have a P4 system, which >>appears<< to be HT capable.  However, the BIOS
> (newest from vendor) does not give the option of turning HT on.  Without
> support from the BIOS, can HT be forced?  Or am I mis-reading the info below,
> and my CPU really is not HT capable.
>
> BTW, I tested with 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp, and tried "acpismp=force" (as
> described below).

Well, /proc/cpuinfo reports the HT feature flag as active, so this is
a HT capable cpu... I'm not sure, but doesn't HT require that the
chipset (i.e.: northbridge) supports it (would them be only i865 and
i875 ???) ??? Which mobo are you running??

And yes, enabling HT in the system's BIOS is required... is that
option is not showing up, it must be the case that you mobo doesn't
support HT... or does it???

--
Thiago dos Santos Guzella
Electrical Enginnering Student - UFMG (www.ufmg.br), Brazil

"Thou, nature, art my goddess; to thy laws my services are bound..."
William Shakespeare