USB storage device names/renameing

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 13:07:25 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Assuming FC3, I believe those are the labels of the partition on the USB
> device.  I'm not sure off the top of my head how you would change that
> under Fedora (since they are normally fat32).

I must admit that I looked for an easy way to do this earlier this week,
gave up, and resorted to copying everything off the drive, using
mkdosfs /dev/sda1 -v -n James
and copying everything back.

That works, and the disk is correctly recognised by Windows 2000, but
it's not ideal.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | DON'T be put off by "horror stories" spread by
Exeter    Devon    UK | others.  People who talk about death and serious