Newbie question - sharing files on dual-boot XP and FC3

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 21 15:58:02 UTC 2005

Bob Brennan wrote:

>>Did you look at section 4.9 "How do I change the permissions of a
>>mounted NTFS Volume?"?
>>
>>Paul.
>>

>No I hadn't got down that far. I scanned quickly and saw that it was
>all NTFS related, and taking the warnings seriously I decided against
>messing with NTFS at all.
>
>I did go back now and read it however, especially the section you
>bookmarked. That plus reading 'man fstab' and 'man mount' finally got
>me a configuration that works as I want. For archive readers of this
>post the line in fstab that works is:
>
>/dev/hda6     /mnt/win   vfat    rw, uid=username, gid=username     0 0
>
>Thanks for the help Paul!
>bob

I usually tend to add the fstab entry for vfat so only gid is provided
and have a special group to access the partition, so I won't be
constrained at only one user, but a whole Linux group, to which I can
add or remove users from. However for personal use and if you are the
only person that uses the computer, the method is Ok.