Newbie question - sharing files on dual-boot XP and FC3

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Fri Jan 21 16:55:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 12:44 +0000, Bob Brennan wrote:
> I did go back now and read it however, especially the section you
> bookmarked. That plus reading 'man fstab' and 'man mount' finally got
> me a configuration that works as I want. For archive readers of this
> post the line in fstab that works is:
>
> /dev/hda6     /mnt/win   vfat    rw, uid=username, gid=username     0 0

I usually just set a group id and make vfat users members of that group.

I also found that the option shortname=winnt handles filename case
better. For example, if you have a linux file named README, without this
option copying the file to the vfat will cause it to be renamed Readme.
With this option the case is preserved.

/dev/hdc5    /mnt/fat    vfat    defaults, gid=100, umask=002,
shortname=winnt   0 0

Brian