grub and flying elephants-solution-SOLVED

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Jan 21 20:15:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:24:28AM -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> >The subject line is for those who remember Dumbo and the line "I guess I
> >will have seen everything when I see an elephant fly".
> >
> >Well Grub has shown me something I have never seen before so I need help.
> >
> >We have 7 identical machines bought at the same time. They are the Dwarf
> >machines. I have successfully got Dwarf1 and Dwarf7 up and going with FC2.
> >
> >This morning I loaded exactly the same software through untarring an image
> >of Dwarf7 on Dwarf2, 3 and 4. I changed the entries in the hosts, network
> >and
> >ifcfg-eth0 files. I changed the grub.conf so it looks like the ones that
> >work. I will include a copy below. When I run grub-install the all three
> >machines return with the error:
> >the file /boot/grub/stage1  not read correctly.
> >
> >I copied the whole grub directory from a working machine and got the same
> >error. On another machine I zeroed the boot part of the MBR and got the
> >same
> >error from grub-install. I am clueless. Any help would be appreciated.

I am surprised that someone did not come up with the answer which
turns out to be simple. grub-install is a rather lame script which is
identified as deprecated. The correct way of installing grub is by
using the setup command so the drill is as follows:
grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

setup does what grub-install is supposed to do. I am assuming that
grub-install has problems with SCSI drive booting.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.