ATI graphics card driver

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Sat Jan 22 21:42:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 13:48 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 22.01.2005, 18:57 +0100 schrieb August:
> >
> >>Hello all,
> >>
> >>ATI graphics card owners may have noticed that ATI recently have
> >>released a driver for Xorg 6.8. Has anyone successfully installed the
> >>driver on Fedora Core 3 with kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 or know of any
> >>info?
> >

> > - Configure yum like described in
> > http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
> >
> > - Than install the driver with the command:
> > yum install kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.10-1.741_FC3
>
> What video cards does this driver work with?  I have an older Thinkpad
> with a Rage 128 card in it.

If your intested in 3D, the current X-org drivers should support
acceleration via DRI
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATI?
action=highlight&value=CategoryHardwareVendor

I have a few systems at work with a couple flavors of R128 and 3D worked
under RH 7.3 if a bit buggy with some texture issues, so I would expect
them to function reasonably well now.

If your thinking on playing games it should be good enough for older
games like Quake 2 and Unreal.

Paul