Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jan 22 21:48:22 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

> If you have another Linux machine on the network you can speed
> up installs and avoid CD issues by doing an NFS install.  Just
> download the iso images to a directory on a Linux box that is
> exported via NFS and burn only the first disk.  Then enter
> 'linux askmethod' at the boot prompt, pick NFS as the install
> method and fill in the details for the NFS export.  The installer
> will do all the magic of mounting the images for you.  It is faster
> than CDs and you don't have to hang around to swap disks.

As a matter of interest I tried this ("linux askmethod")
but it didn't appear to have any effect.
When I reached the choice of method NFS was listed
(this is what I wanted to try)
but I was unable to choose it -
if I did, it simply returned at once to the same choices.
(All that I was able to choose was Local CD or Hard disk.)

I assume the reason is that I had no IP connection at that moment.
In fact I have only one PMCIA slot,
and that was occupied by the CD reader.

Is it in fact possible to install over the net in this case?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366