Moving / and swap into LVM

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Jan 22 22:10:04 UTC 2005

I have a 40G disk partitioned as follows, with no empty space:

/dev/hda1 - Mfgr's diagnostics
/dev/hda2 - WinXP system
/dev/hda3 - Lunix /boot
/dev/hda4 - Extended
     /dev/hda5 - WinXP data
     /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
 	- /home
 	- /opt
 	- /usr
 	- /usr/local
     /dev/hda7 - FAT32 shared by WinXP and Linux
     /dev/hda8 - /
     /dev/hda9 - swap

I've discovered that space on / is a bit tight, so I'd like to change
things around so that I have:

     /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
 	- /home
 	- /opt
 	- /usr
 	- /usr/local
 	- /
 	- swap
     /dev/hda7 - FAT32

Is this possible without reinstalling?  If so, how?

I'm pretty sure I need to do the following:
     - Boot from a rescue disk.
     - Archive / so that it will restore with all links, etc. in place
       (tar, but do I need any particular options?).
     - Delete hda8 and hda9 and move hda7 to the end of the disk (parted
       will do this).
     - Grow hda6 to take the remaining space (what tool can do this?).
     - Create / and swap as logical volumes and format them.
     - Restore / from the archive (tar options needed here?).
     - Modify /boot/grub/grub.conf so that it knows where the new root is.
     - Modify /etc/fstab so that it knows where / and swap are.

Did I catch everything?

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences