screen suddenly gone darker

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 22:55:50 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> My screen has just gone suddenly darker - again. It did this a while ago
> in windows and now it's done it under fc3. I'm guessing that it's a
> hardware issue because it's the same when i goot to windows _and_ it
> effects the grub boot dialogue too! That means whatever's happening it's
> early in the bootup process. That's if software even plays a role at all...
>
> I'd love some suggestions for what to do about this - how to pin down a
> cause. I've got brightness and contrast turned up to max - if it happens
> yet again, then things will be annoyingly dark.

What sort of screen are we talking about? What sort of connection?

It could be the screen, the connection, or the graphics card.

How old is the screen? How much has it been used? (Could it be old age?)

Is this a laptop? (Could it be something to do with laptop power
saving?)

Can you check that everything is plugged in properly?

Is there any chance you can try the same monitor with a different
computer, or the same PC with a different screen?

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Reliability went through the floor, tunnelled its
Exeter    Devon    UK | way to the centre of the Earth, and perished in the