faking symbol fount (firefox)

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 23 16:01:55 UTC 2005

I'm trying to view a site <www.hellenicbookservice.co.uk/>
which uses the MS symbol fount to display Greek characters.
(And makes rather unecessary use of Java, so for those w.o.
the plugin,
<http://www.hellenicbookservice.com/Modern/modern_greek_literature_and_poet.htm>
is a good example.)

I've actually got a dual boot with Windows, but copying
symbol.ttf over seems a bit inelegant.  Renaming OpenSymbol
isn't really an option since its glyphs are mainly in the
private use area; whereas the MS fount puts its Greek glyphs
in place of the Latin ones.  Does anyone have any suggestions
that don't involve: copying the MS fount; putting a broken
fount [1] on my system [2]; emailing the maintainer and
suggesting they use utf-8 or 8859-7 [3]?

[1] W.r.t. ISO-8859 or Unicode.
[2] I'm sure I could find one or use FontForge to rearrange
     an existing one.
[3] I intend to do this, and it must be an obstacle for them
     to add entries in Symbol fount, but I'd like to know if
     there's a workaround for the more general problem.

imalone