Mime-type question?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 19:01:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 20:23, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 20:04 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 07:06, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> > >     I'm wanting to set up a set of PHP code to present a link and have
> > > it open a terminal window, with a hostname destination in it- kinda like
> > > ssh:///root@123.123.12.4 and make a one-click connection to the remote
> > > machine.
> > >
> > >     Is this something that can be easily done, most likely on Firefox
> > > and/or Mozilla?
> >
> > I don't think this will be easy.
> >
> > I can think of two ways to do this neither of which is "easy".
> >
> > First way, you would need to utilize something like java scripting.
> > Your web page would then be able to startup a terminal application on
> > the users machine, in this case an ssh session.
> >
> > Second way, you would need to startup the ssh session on the web server
> > where the page is and pass the data back to the user over the http
> > connection (suggest using https for stuff like this).
> >
> > Only in the second case could you possibly use php to do this.  Even
> > that may not be the right tool.  (as much as I like php it is just not
> > suited to certain types of things.)
>
>     Or, I could just have them ssh to the main site, then chose from a
> menu which would spawn the ssh session as needed.  :>  Yeah, I've been
> researching since the post...I don't like most of the choices I have
> here, but it's not a biggie.
>
>     Thanks for your input, though!

Regardless of the method used one big item you would need to address is
how to handle the password info.  The easy way is to let the user
provide the password info.  If you do any kind of automated login
process you would still want the user to authenticate in some form
before allowing them to jump to a system. What ever you end up doing
just make sure the passwords are not passed in the clear and can not be
utilized by anyone that has not authenticated.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

You will never amount to much.
		-- Munich Schoolmaster, to Albert Einstein, age 10