Installing Multiple Linux OSes

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Jan 23 20:17:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 14:08, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> > > For those that do an install where you already have a partition
> > > labeled /, the new one seems to get labeled /n  where n is 1,2,etc and
> > > gets incremented for each new install.
> > >
> > Note that the other disk has to be present during the 2nd install
> > for this to work.  If you take a drive with a fedora installation
> > from one machine and add it to a machine that already has one, it
> > will be confused by finding identical labels and refuse to boot.
> > You have to boot from a rescue CD and either change the labels
> > or change grub and /etc/fstab to use partition names to recover.
> >

> For that very same reason I tend to "hard code" partition numbers in
> grub rather than using the labels. To avoid grub confusion.

Same here whenever I customize anything or clone machines by restoring
a backup of one onto another and have to re-install grub.  However,
if you move controllers or drives around the physical devices change
names too.  Labels would make sense if the installer made some effort
to make up unique label names across machine.  Then the grub and fstab
entries would find their 'own' partitions regardless of what else was
connected.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com