Moving / and swap into LVM

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Jan 23 22:34:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Remi Collet wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman a écrit :
>> I have a 40G disk partitioned as follows, with no empty space:
>>
>> /dev/hda1 - Mfgr's diagnostics
>> /dev/hda2 - WinXP system
>> /dev/hda3 - Lunix /boot
>> /dev/hda4 - Extended
>>     /dev/hda5 - WinXP data
>>     /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
>>     - /home
>>     - /opt
>>     - /usr
>>     - /usr/local
>>     /dev/hda7 - FAT32 shared by WinXP and Linux
>>     /dev/hda8 - /
>>     /dev/hda9 - swap
>>
>> I've discovered that space on / is a bit tight, so I'd like to change
>> things around so that I have:
>>
>>     /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
>>     - /home
>>     - /opt
>>     - /usr
>>     - /usr/local
>>     - /
>>     - swap
>>     /dev/hda7 - FAT32
>>
>> Is this possible without reinstalling?  If so, how?
>
> I think so (thanks to LVM)
>
> First disable swap space (in fstab and reboot)
>
> Convert /dev/hda9 to pv (pvcreate)
> Extend the LVM "volume group" by adding the new PV
> 	vgextent
> Create the new / in the LVM (hope you have enough place)
> 	lvcreate, mke2fs
> Copy file (from old / to new /) from CD rescue
> change from old / to new / (edit fstab and grub.conf)
> Convert /dev/hda8 to pv (pvcreate)
> Extend the LVM "volume group" by adding the new PV (vgextent)
> Create a new lv for swap
> 	lvcreate, mkswap
> Enable the new swap space (edit fstab)

Sounds like this will work, but it seems like it ought to be easier to do
it "offline" booting from a rescue disk rather than using the live system
with filesystems in place and mounted.

Thus,

(1) Back up / partition.
(2) Boot from rescue disk.
(3) I could now use fdisk to delete / and swap and replace with a single
     partition hda8.
(4) Convert hda8 to a PV (pvcreate)
(5) Extend the volume group (vgetextent)
(6) Create / and swap (pvcreate, mke2fs, mkswap).
(7) Edit fstab and grub.conf.
(8) Reboot into live system.

Any reason to think this won't work?

> But, first of all : make a backup !