screen suddenly gone darker

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 23:15:56 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> My screen has just gone suddenly darker - again. It did this a while ago
> in windows and now it's done it under fc3. I'm guessing that it's a
> hardware issue because it's the same when i goot to windows _and_ it
> effects the grub boot dialogue too! That means whatever's happening it's
> early in the bootup process. That's if software even plays a role at
> all...

then, later:
> I've checked it in our other computer - it's just as dark in that one.
> So I guess the screen is the problem - right?

Sounds like it. Does it have a moulded-in VGA cable? As there's the
outside chance that it could be the cable. But if that's physically part
of the monitor, then it doesn't make any difference to you which part of
the monitor is going wrong.

> I'll dig out the receipt - here in Denmark there's a two year guarantee
> on electrical goods. this is under a year old.

That's good to know.

I should like to add that the signature below was selected at random: I
did not deliberately choose that to comment on your situation!

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Reliability went through the floor, tunnelled its
Exeter    Devon    UK | way to the centre of the Earth, and perished in the